Saturday, March 12, 2011

Is "That Free Thing" (thatfreething.com) a Scam?

You probably got an email about the AMAZING new program: www.thatfreething.com or www.myfreething.com (they take you to to the same place).

Of course, the question you're asking is:

Is That Free Thing for real or is it a scam?

Well, let me give you my 2 cents.

Let me start off by letting you know that I’ve made millions of dollars in network marketing. But I got out about five years ago.

(For the record: I still have one MLM position that pays me every month. But I've only held onto that because I can’t find anyone to buy it from me).

Why did I get leave a business that was paying me money?

For one, I’m a serious shopper. I like to find deals. And I couldn’t rationalize selling a product for 2-10x the price I could buy it for if I poked around online.

Secondly, after all that time in MLM, I got to know what was happening behind the curtains (in the back offices)… and it was messy. Most of the products (especially nutritional products or skin care products) that sold for up to $100 actually cost less than the packaging they came in. Many of the big earners were spending more on advertising than they were earning.

Basically, I knew VERY few people who were living the promise of “having time and financial freedom”.

BTW, for about 7 years I was making enough money without doing anything that I didn’t need to, well, do anything. But I was a rarity.

So, that's the prep for my review of That Free Thing (or My Free Thing… that’s just the domain used for people’s personal sites).

Okay... what *IS* That Free Thing?

* It’s a network marketing company/product.
* The product is information that you pay $9.95 to get (after paying a $25 one time setup fee)
* You get paid based on the number of people “under” you in your group, either people you refer… people THEY refer… or people “above you” who refer enough people that THOSE people end up in your group.

Let's explore those points more carefully.

#1 -- That Free Thing is an MLM, or network marketing company. BTW, if you think MLM is evil or illegal, then you don't need to know any more, do you? ;-)

FWIW, you're mistaken, but that's fine. I’m not going to try to change your mind about whether MLM is a valid business model. Ah, okay, I'll toss out a thought and you can do what you will: IF the product being sold by the MLM is something people would use, REGARDLESS of the fact that there’s money to be made, the “multi-level” structure is not a “pyramid” nor is MLM illegal, nor does it only benefit “the people who get in first.” In other words (to use one extra sentence) if everyone stopped recruiting new members and the company was still running fine (because the members were getting value from the product), it’s not a scam. If all the money came from recruiting... run away. Fast.

#2 -- the product is information, specifically a compilation of Free Stuff deals — coupons, special deals, giveaways, promotional items, etc.

If you already have a subscription to www.slickdeals.net , or Free Stuff Times and don't want to find anything else, then you're set.

But, FWIW, when I looked at the deals on the That Free Thing site, I found quite a few freebies that had not shown up on my radar.

#3 -- Compenastion (what you'll make). So you know, ALL MLM companies LIE about how much money you could make. They lie about a few things:

* How large your group will be (you tell 2 friends, and they tell two friends, and soon, the whole world is in your business!). You’ll never “fill your matrix” and make those big numbers. NEVER.
* How easy it’ll be to sign people up (IT WILL NOT BE unless you're a good salesman).
* How the people above you will promote so much that you'll make a fortune thanks to them (You won't. Guaranteed).

Now, what's good about “That Free Thing“?

First, if you are okay paying $9.95 to get a good list of freebies, then it’s worth it to you. (If you're not already scouring the net for deals, this could be enough.)

Second, it's cheap to try out. $25 + 9.95/month is not a lot to risk. If you’re think about it as a business, you can see if it pays off for you for about $55 ($25, plus 3 months at $9.95… you’ll want to give it about that long to see what happens).

Oh, one other negative about That Free Thing:

It’s a new company. New companies like to say that it's good that they're new (you're getting in early!) Here's the truth: Most new companies (of ANY type) don’t succeed. The ones that do will change their compensation plan and products until they’re unrecognizable compared to when you got involved.

So is it a scam or not?

I'd say not.

Do I recommend it?

Of course not. How can I know what's right for you. It’s your money. Make up your own mind.

FYI, though, I did sign up. Why?

* Curious if they found enough Freebies that I wasn’t already finding to justify the price (hey, I’m happy to spend $10 if it’ll save me $20!)
* Curious to see how the business grew with NOMINAL (or no) effort. I’ve wasted $55 on things with less promise before ;-)

Have any questions? Post them here.

Feel like signing up? Go to http://www.myfreething.com/invisible

No comments:

Post a Comment